Bugout Bag Tech Tip

Solo Scale Adventures- Part 1 By Jeremy Kilburn

Word to the wise – Use a checklist.  Do not make assumptions about taking a tiny truck for a long solo adventure.  Personally I define “long” as 4-10 miles or more than 4 hours, your definition will vary but you still need to be prepared.

Ten Lessons learned that have shaped my preparedness of a Tiny truck adventure – 

  1. Brought a freshly storage charged set of batteries with me instead of fully CHARGED batteries, ended my day less than two hours in and did the walk of shame back to the car.

  2. Didn’t bring wet weather gear because the weatherman said it wouldn’t rain.  Soaked, ruined phone, ruined transmitter, and no spare clothes to change into added a soaked car seat to the list.

  3. Spare parts, or lack thereof.  Brought extra leaf springs, driveshaft’s and gear set for my Trailfinder 2 but neglected to bring a TF2, I was using my Element Enduro that day.

  4. Not telling my wife how long I would be.  She couldn’t reach me by phone for hours on end because I was out of cell service coverage.  She was worried sick and was hesitant to let me go out by myself for quite a while after that.

  5. No simple band-aide.  Nothing like losing a shirt sleeve to a cut on the leg.

  6. Ran out of water.  Again, my weatherman is an idiot; “temps in the upper 70’s” quickly turned into mid 80’s and 90% humidity…. (I really needed a new weather forcaster)

  7. Over doing it. My mind wanted to go farther than my body was willing to go and I ended up taking a day off work due to muscle pain.  (A good hot bath soaking with a Blue Emu bomb after a long outing is priceless)

  8. Trail fixes take imagination.  Small sticks, a lot of small sticks, can be an axle pin or driveshaft pin in a pinch.  I’d rather drive it than carry it.

  9. Not bringing a spare rig. The entire purpose of the Carry-All Bug Out Bag is to be trail prepared but also to carry a rig.  Hook one up and take it!  Even if it’s just to take pictures of at a favorite spot or a comp rig to run a few tough lines before getting back to the trails.

  10. Not sharing my trip.  I’ve done countless miles without a single photo, what a shame.  (It helps to bring back a few photos so the wife doesn’t think you are just sucking down beers at the bar with the guys)

     

    Check back next week for the continuation of this Bugout Bag tech tip, including a downloadable checklist.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bugout Bag tip-Winter lipo managment